In 1826, however, repair was charged to the lord of the manor. 11) The early history of Norwood parish is inextricably connected with that of Hayes. 12) Although it was not mentioned in 1086, the church, and presumably the settlement, existed by the 12th century. 13) The church stood in the centre of the southernmost part of the parish, almost on the southern boundary. 14) and in 1384 the names of 'Dormoteswell' (Dorman's Well) and Northcott both occur in a court roll. 15) It is reasonable to assume, therefore, that all three of the later hamlets of Norwood, i.e.
Norwood, Southall, and Northcott, were settled by the 14th century, and probably much earlier. 19) The survey of Hayes, carried out between 15 for Roger, Lord North, the lord of the manor, although incomplete, includes part of Norwood.
East Field lay between Southall Green and Tentelow Lane. 21) Southall manor-house, in 1961 the property of the borough council and occupied by the public health department, was built in 1587 and is the only surviving ancient dwelling of importance in the parish. A lane led north from Northcott to Northolt, and other lanes mentioned are Long Lane, leading to Southall, and Butts Lane, Southall Lane, and Southall Street, all in Southall.
Northcote West Field (122 a.) and Middle Field (95 a.) are both mentioned.
Pages 40-43A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4, Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood With Southall, Hillingdon With Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow With Pinner.
Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1971.
6) so that the southern boundary was formed by the canal as far as Norwood Mill.
This increased the area of the civil parish to 2,545 a.
Because of this division between Hayes and Norwood it has been found more convenient to present a separate account of each area. 4) On the western side the boundary ran south down the Paddington Canal and the Yeading Brook.
The parish is predominantly flat and nowhere rises to more than 50 feet above sea level.
The soil in the north is heavy London Clay, but south of Uxbridge Road light loam and gravel predominate. 9) The parish is watered by the Yeading Brook on the western boundary, and by the River Brent in the east.
In 1762 the Uxbridge turnpike trustees repaired it, and by 1815 the county had assumed responsibility.
Batford Bridge, which crossed the Yeading Brook between Hayes and Southall, was widened in 1755 and rebuilt in 1800 by the turnpike trustees.