On this floor there are many historic paintings that the public can see as well as three murals by Dana prompted the U. Army to re-establish a fort in the area in 1863 during the U. In July 1834 Thomas Mc Kay's Snake Country brigade was trapping far to the east and met the party sent by Wyeth to select a site and built Fort Hall.At the end of July, Mc Kay departed for , on the Little Salmon River.From its beginnings as a single cell house, the penitentiary grew to a complex of several distinctive buildings surrounded by a high sandstone wall.The stone was quarried from the nearby ridges by the resident convicts, who also completed all the later construction.Prior to its completion women did not have separate quarters.
The balcony entrances are there so that the public can watch the legislature while it is in session. The new location was selected because it was near the intersection of the Oregon Trail with a major road connecting the Accounts differ about the origin of the name. It was built by Nathaniel Wyeth's American Trading Company.Cell House 3 (1899) was built the same as Cell House 2.It was eventually condemned for habitation, but in 1921 was converted into a shoe factory.This building was converted into a Chapel in the 1930s and was destroyed by fire in the 1973 riot.The False Front Buildings (1894-1895) held the Commissary, Trusty Dorm, Barber Shop (1902-1960s) and Hospital (originally the blacksmith shop, but was remodeled in 1912 and remained the prison hospital until the 1960s).