Finally, in the nineteenth century the name seems to revert to its original twelfth century spelling of 'Merstham', although the twentieth century may have something to add in the way of pronunciation, due to the resounding shouts on the railway station of'Merstrum' by porters anxious to make themselves heard!
However, the generally accepted meaning is 'the stone house by the mere or marsh', though in early times the word soet or saete meant dwellers, so the origin of the name was 'dwelling of the people of the marsh'.
Records prove that the green sandstone had been in more than just local demand.
In 1259, in the accounts of the building of the King's Palace at Westminster we find, amongst the names of the purveyors of freestone, the name of Peter of Merstham.
Any man who refused was sent as a prisoner to Windsor.
In 1395 William Prophete, thought to be a relative of John and Philip, supplied stone from the Merstham quarries for the building of Henry VII's Chapel in Westminster Abbey.
It is fairly certain that the Romans quarried here.
The original entrance to one of the quarries was lined to form two continuous arches.
There are many other places, all of Saxon origin, that have the common ending of ham, and having the same meaning of 'home', something 'hemmed-in', a small settlement of houses clustered together.
In 1086 William ordered a survey designed to register the landed wealth of the country in a systematic fashion, and determine the revenues due to the king.
This survey, known as the Domesday Survey, was written in Latin and consisted of two volumes.
One of the first things they did was to build a church of wood, wattle and stone.
Then, by common consent, the Mearsoeti set aside the best and driest site for the building, the knoll to the north east of the village where St. From then very little is known of the area until when, in AD893, two armies of Danes invaded Saxon territory in the south of England.